4th Street Bridge Plate

 

 

Fourth Street Bridge


Completed in 1931, the Fourth Street Bridge was one of ten L.A. River bridges built under the supervision of Merrill Butler, the city’s engineer of bridges and structures for four decades. These bridges were funded by the viaduct bond act of 1923, enacted, in part, to help beautify the city and generate civic pride. 

 

 


About the Design Motif

The design motif on the back of the plate was inspired by details in the architecture of the Fourth Street Bridge itself, as can be seen in bridge photo next to the back of the plate.